Recipe: Quick and easy chickpea sandwich
I don't know about you, but I often find myself in a food rut. When I grocery shop, I tend to buy the same stuff over and over again and after so long, I get a little burnt out on the same meals and recipes. So today I ventured onto Pinterest for some food inspiration and was quickly reminded that I've always wanted to try a chickpea sandwich! Today was the day, my friends. There are so many versions online but this is what I whipped up on my own. It's pretty basic and you can easily give it your own spin with the right toppings and seasonings. Happy lunching!
P.S. It's vegan + vegetarian friendly! Can I get a whoop-whoop?!
(yields 3-4 sandwiches)
• 1 can of chickpea (garbanzo) beans
• 2 slices of bread or 1 bagel
• 2-3 tablespoons of vegan spread or mayo (I either opt for the Trader Joe's vegan spread and dressing or a comparable vegan mayo)
• salt to taste
• a few slices of tomato
• a small handful of lettuce, spinach or your favorite greens
• a few slices of avocado
• your preferred amount of mustard
• Trader Joe's Everything But The Bagel Seasoning Blend (optional)
• 1 slice of pepperjack cheese (optional)
Most of these ingredients are at your discretion, especially when it comes to the seasoning and your favorite sandwich toppings. I might try adding cucumbers, bell peppers or sprouts the next time I make it.
1. Open your can of chickpeas and drain
2. Pour them into a bowl and mash completely with a fork
3. Add salt, seasoning and vegan spread/may and mix it all together
4. Put some mustard on your bread or bagel
5. Top your sandwich with sliced cheese, the chickpea mix, slices of avocado and tomato, a little greens and the other part of the bagel or bread
VOILA! It's that easy. This is a great vegan or vegetarian option, depending on if you opted for cheese or real mayo, of course. It's filling and yummy and a great tuna substitute. I personally like it even better the second day, after the leftover chickpea mix has had time to get cold in the fridge. YUM.