Recipe: Veggie stir fry over brown rice
I'm a sucker for an easy recipe and this is definitely one of them. This little ol' meal takes less 30 minutes to make (and probably less than 5 to inhale — so good!)
Growing up, I'd always ask my grandma how she makes my favorite dishes of hers. I'd get out a piece of paper to start jotting things down and she'd hit me with "a pinch of this," "a handful of that," "about this much of this," and "just a little of that." ... none of that ever really helped. Any time I'd try and recreate her recipes, they'd never come out like hers. For one, I didn't have the exact measurements (thanks, grandma) and for another, well, she's a way better cook than I'll ever be.
As I started experimenting in the kitchen, I've come to understand her methodology. In other words, I rarely measure things when I cook (sorry in advance). But don't fret! I'll do my best to get you as close to the recipe as I can. (But if it sucks and you hate it, don't hold it against me ... hah).
Also, did I mention this recipe is vegan? Because it is! (If you're into that sort of thing).
- zucchini (green, yellow, whatever you have!)
- onion (sweet or yellow)
- carrots (I cut up baby carrots)
- bell pepper (disclaimer: I didn't have any for these photos, but I normally use them)
- your favorite soy sauce (I love Trader Joe's Island Soyaki and their organic coconut aminos sauce. I used the coconut aminos sauce in these photos. The soyaki gives it a more traditional stir fry taste while the coconut aminos sauce makes it a little sweeter).
- salt to taste
- your favorite oil/butter/etc. for the pan (I lovelovelove coconut oil and avocado oil. I used coconut oil this time around).
- rice (for this recipe, I use brown or jasmine. These photos feature Trader Joe's frozen brown rice — so, so easy and way faster to cook than regular brown rice since you just pop it into the microwave).
- optional: peanuts (not featured in these photos but I usually add them if I have 'em!)
*You can add any veggies you have in your fridge to this. I used 1 zucchini, about 1.5 cups of broccoli, etc. and it was enough for two people.
- chop up all your veggies (unless you're cooking brown rice raw instead of from frozen, then start with that). use an equal amount of all the veggies.
- heat the oil in the pan over medium-high heat
- throw in all the veggies in the pan and stir
- add your sauce to the pan
- stir, let it cook, stir a little more
- add salt as needed
- once your veggies are almost done, throw the brown rice in the microwave
- once everything's cooked, put the veggies on top of the brown rice
- take pictures for Instagram
If you're a carnivore, I've tried this recipe with Trader Joe's BBQ Chicken Teriyaki (and therefore without the coconut aminos sauce listed above since it comes with its own sauce). Still so, so good. If you try it, let me know how yours comes out in the comments below!